Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Lost in Translating

Quick! translate this tiny paragraph...

"Produk ‘all in one’ dimana semua fasilitas kebutuhan konsumen terkonvergensi menjadi satu produk. Keunggulannya yakni multifungsi dan efisiensi. Sehingga memudahkan konsumen untuk menggunakannya. "

...into its English equivalent.

Done? Feeling Annoyed? In the scale of 1-10, how annoyed are you? Now, multiply that by a million, that's how annoyed I am.

It seems that I'm not the only one who have a bad writing habit. You see here: "Produk ‘all in one’ dimana  semua fasilitas kebutuhan konsumen terkonvergensi menjadi satu produk." is not even a sentence, damnit. My current apprentice job requires me to translate some articles containing that kind of sentence every day.

These past two days I've been translating news and articles for my campus website. Or, the way I call it, I've been "reverse translating", because I translate articles written in Bahasa Indonesia into English (so far I've only translated 7 articles tho, most of the time I do nothing:p). It's easier than programming, and it's less stressful. BUT, it's not as fun, and it's fucking annoying when you have no idea what the sentences are actually about.

But I think I like it. At least I'm learning how to write properly again. It's just like writing essays about Othello or A View From The Bridge or The Kite Runner for Ms.Zubair's class in my high school years. I hope my writing's getting better, both in English and in Bahasa Indonesia, because two days ago, this conversation happened:

Ki*****R (5/2/2011 2:41:25 PM): hey, gmana kalo kita buat buku bareng?
Me (5/2/2011 2:41:51 PM): hmmm
Me (5/2/2011 2:42:19 PM): im not really good at making structured language
Ki*****R (5/2/2011 2:42:29 PM): so what?
Me (5/2/2011 2:42:52 PM): ntar bukunya fucked up gimana? :p
Ki*****R (5/2/2011 2:43:08 PM): trus knapa?
Ki*****R (5/2/2011 2:43:13 PM): selalu ada kali pertama kan

and the rest of the conversation is history.

No comments:

Post a Comment